Development Approval Process

The development approval process can be complicated and confusing. These pages explain the different approval processes that are available to you and your responsibilities when building.

If you have any queries call our Customer Contact unit on (02) 4350 5555.

Obtaining Approval

Many types of small structures are classified as exempt development and no approval is required for these works.

However, to undertake most forms of building works it is necessary to obtain approval before work commences. There are two types of applications for approval to undertake building work;

  • pdf format Complying Development (43.73 KB) – meets set criteria and is generally a quicker process than lodging a Development Application
  • Development application – if a proposed development does not meet the requirements for a complying development certificate a development application is required.

Find out more about development process and the information required when lodging an application.

Tracking a development application

This can be done online through our online development application tracker.

Construction Certificates

A construction certificate is required for all building work that has received development consent. This allows building works to be assessed against any requirements of the development consent, the Building Code of Australia and any other relevant standards.

Get more information on construction certificates and building insurance.

Principal Certifying Authority (PCA)

The determination of both complying development certificates and construction certificate applications must be undertaken by a principal certifying authority (PCA). Both Council and private certifiers provide this service.

Find out the benefits of choosing Council as your  to PCA.

Building Works

Find out what your responsibilities are before, during and after building works, what certificates may be required and how to book building inspections.

Subdivision Certificates

A Subdivision Certificate is required in order that a plan of subdivision can be registered in LPI.