Waste and Recycling
Wyong Shire Council provides residents with a comprehensive waste and recycling service operated by our contractor, Remondis. Every household is provided with a:
Residents east of the F3 Freeway are also provided with:
Watch Council's video to find out what items to place in each bin, or see an itemised list below.
If you require additional servicing of your existing bin (ie an extra pick up) then you need to contact Customer Contact on 4350 5555. You must pay an upfront fee (see below) and book the pick up at least 24 hours before it is required.
Prices quoted below are for a one-off additional service of a single bin. This price needs to be multiplied by the number of services (weeks) required. All prices quoted are for 2013/14
- 140L waste (red lid) bin - $16.30
- 240L waste bin (red lid) - $17.30
- 240L recycling bin (yellow lid) - $16.30
- 240L vegetation bin (yellow lid) - $16.30
This service is usually taken up by residents at holiday periods, particularly Christmas, however it is actually available all year round.
For items that cannot be placed in the household garbage bins residents can order a bulk kerbside collection. Contact Remondis 1300 126 278 for more information.
Household Garbage Bin (Red Lid)
Description: 140 litre bin with red Lid
- Food scraps
- Plastic bags
- Polystyrene foam
- Disposable nappies
- Tetra pak containers
- Light globes and pyrex
- Waste that cannot be placed in either the Recycling Bin (Yellow Lid) or in the Garden Vegetation (Green Lid) bin.
Put your household garbage bin (red lid) out every week on your normal garbage collection day. Residents can request a larger bin - 240L - for an extra fee. If you are not sure of your collection day or would like a larger bin contact Remondis on 1300 126 278.
Recycling Bin (Yellow Lid)
Description: 240 litre bin with yellow lid
Collection: Fortnightly on alternate weeks to garden vegetation bin on your garbage collection day. Visit Remondis' web site to download a printable Recycling and Garden Vegetation Collection Calendar.
- Margarine and ice cream containers
- Paper and cardboard products
- Steel and aerosol cans
- Rigid plastic bottles & containers, including lids
- Glass bottles and jars
- Aluminium cans, clean foil and trays
- Milk and juice cartons with gable tops
In Wyong Shire long-life cartons (with silver lining), shredded paper and crockery / pyrex / drinking glasses are not recyclable. Please don’t place items for recycling in plastic bags or place other general garbage in the recycling bin. Check Remondis’ web site or call Remondis on 1300 126 278 for more information on what items are recyclable.
Garden Vegetation Bin (Green Lid)
Description: 240 litre bin with green lid
Collection: Fortnightly on alternate weeks to recycling bin on your garbage collection day. Visit Remondis' web site to download a printable Recycling and Garden Vegetation Collection Calendar.
- Plants and small shrubs
- Grass clippings and leaves
- Flowers and weeds
- Prunings, twigs and branches
- Timber (unpainted, untreated, no nails)
This vegetation will be composted, so it is important that only acceptable materials are placed inside.
Check Remondis’ web site or call Remondis on 1300 126 278 to find out what items are acceptable.
Booking a Bulk Kerbside Collection
Description: Materials that are too bulky, too heavy or too big for the normal bins.
Collection: Each household is entitled to six kerbside collections per year, on request. These can be either bulk household items or bulk garden vegetation. If you place bulk household waste and bulk garden vegetation out at the same time it counts as two collections.
Before placing material out for collection please visit the web site or phone Remondis on 1300126 278 to book a kerbside collection. Bookings must be made at least two business days in advance otherwise the collection will occur in the following week. Kerbside collections occur the same day as normal bin collection.
For a prompt pick-up please ensure that:
- Only acceptable material is placed on the footpath
- All material is presented neatly
- Bulk household waste and bulk vegetation are presented in separate piles
- The amount of waste does not exceed 2 cubic metres or the equivalent to one box trailer load
Please place your material on the footpath the night before the collection day.
Bulk Kerbside Collection
- White goods such as fridges, stoves and washing machines
- Household appliances
- Furniture and mattresses
- Small car parts
- Hot water services
- Bagged and boxed items
- Panes of glass
- Hazardous wastes such as paints, asbestos and chemicals
- Unwanted medicines and liquids
- Large car parts or batteries
- Building and demolition material
- Food scraps and household garbage
- Garden vegetation
- Items that can not be reasonably removed by two people
Find out what items are accepted at Council's Buttonderry Waste Management Facility.
Bulk Garden Vegetation Collection
- Tree branches
- Garden vegetation
- Untreated timber
- Food waste
- Chemically treated, painted or stained timber
- Vegetation too heavy to be lifted by two people
- Plastic bags
Other Information on Waste and Recycling Services
Contact Remondis on 1300 126 278 to order a new bin, an additional bin, cancel a service or report missed services or bin repairs.
Missed services and bin repairs can also be reported via the web site.
Check this innovative program for the Wyong area.