US skate sensation crowned Bato’s King of Concrete
16 Feb 2017
A surprise entrant from Nitro Circus skate sensation, Beaver Fleming, wowed the crowd on Saturday with his gnarly tricks, which ultimately saw him crowned Bato Yard’s King of Concrete for 2017.
Central Coast Council supported the inaugural King of Concrete bowl competition which saw more than 70 competitiors from the Coast, country and overseas compete for the King of Concrete title and a wildcard entry into the BOWL-A-RAMA, the peak world bowl competition.
Riders came from all over including Victoria, ACT, Queensland, Western Australia, Tasmania, New Zealand, England and the USA to compete across the five catgories – Opens, 16 and under, 12 and under, Girls and Masters.
Some used the competition as a practice round before Bondi, some tried to secure that wildcard for Bondi and others simply competed to test their skills against some of the world’s best.
Despite the heat wave, more than 500 people came to Bato Yard to watch it get shredded with some top local and international skaters.
Bato Yard was opened in July 2016 and is already making an impression on local and international riders alike:
- Beaver Fleming, California - member of the infamous Nitro Circus, said: “This is insane! I’m blown away, the bowl is amazing!”
- Matt Kitai, Bateau Bay – nationally and internationally known rider, said: “It’s been a long time coming, but it’s great to see such a great facility finally come to the Central Coast.”
- Sam Beckett, England - 2016 X Games gold medallist, said: “This park is amazing. It’s a super good facility, especially for the local kids. The bowl is unique. I’m super impressed to see the level from the kids.”
- Clay Kreiner – San Diego said: “I love it here in Australia, every skate park, the beaches.”
- Chris Patton – Colorado, USA said: “This place is amazing. I’m here every year for bowl-a-rama.”
Central Coast Council would like to pay a special thanks to their sponsors who helped make the day a ripper success – Sea FM, The Entrance Leagues Club and Grundy’s Skate Store.
Check out a full list of results and competitors at facebook.com/Kingofconcreteaustralia