Neighbourhood Issues


Neighbourhood noise such as power tools, amplified sound equipment, air conditioners and motor vehicles may incur a fine when breaching time restrictions and legislation.

Barking Dogs

Barking dogs can bring an on the spot fine.

Council may also issue a "nuisance order" against a dog under the Companion Animals Act. If the dog continues to bark this may attract a fine.

Sometimes all that is required is for the dog owner to be told that their dog is causing a nuisance. Unfortunately this is often not the case and in many cases the dog owner doesn’t believe that there is a problem.

To address the problem we need some information from you including the address of where the dog lives. If you are worried about a barking dog in your neighbourhood, please call Customer Contact on (02) 4350 5555 or lodge a request online.

Read general information about dog ownership responsibilities.

Tips on resolving noise disputes

Visit the NSW Environment Protection Authority for additional information about noise, time restrictions and who you should contact when dealing with neighbourhood noise.

The department’s information includes tips on resolving issues such as noisy vehicles, intruder alarms, construction works, features posters, audio files and brochures.

If you are in dispute with your neighbour you can also seek advice from:

Wood-fired Heaters and Woodsmoke

The NSW Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) advises if you can see or smell smoke from your wood-fired heater then you may be causing problems for yourself, your family and your neighbours.

The impacts of woodsmoke are highest in the winter months where wood-fired heating can produce up to seven times more pollution than cars.

There are a number of things you can do to improve this, increase your heaters efficiency and help us all breathe more easily.

Click here for more information


Overgrown Land

The Central Coast can experience significant rainfall throughout the year. Whilst the rainfall is welcomed in most instances, it does encourage rapid growth of vegetation - particularly during the spring and summer months. It is during this period that Council receives a significant number of enquiries that relate to overgrown properties. 
Council cannot dictate how a resident manages their private property unless their activities contravene legislation enforceable at a local government level. As such, Council cannot act upon complaints that relate to a property’s appearance. If evidence can be provided that proves the condition of a property is unsafe or unhealthy, please call Customer Contact on (02) 4350 5555. Council Officers will investigate to determine if regulatory action can be taken.
It is also necessary to remember, Council cannot take any action where overgrown vegetation includes native vegetation that is protected under the Threatened Species Conservation Act 1995 or the Native Vegetation Act 2003.  Native mice, native rats and snakes are not considered to be vermin and are protected under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974.
Council encourages residents to discuss the matter with the owner or manager of the subject property first, if they are known. Often people are unaware that their property maintenance is causing a problem and are usually happy to address the problem after being notified.

Click here for information on Trees