Overgrown land

Wyong Shire can experience significant rainfall throughout the year. Whilst the rainfall is welcomed in most instances, it does encourage rapid growth of vegetation - particularly during the spring and summer months. It is during this period that Council receives a significant number of enquiries that relate to overgrown properties. 
Council cannot dictate how a resident manages their private property unless their activities contravene legislation enforceable at a local government level. As such, Council cannot act upon complaints that relate to a property’s appearance. If evidence can be provided that proves the condition of a property is unsafe or unhealthy, please call Customer Contact on (02) 4350 5555. Council Officers will investigate to determine if regulatory action can be taken.
It is also necessary to remember, Council cannot take any action where overgrown vegetation includes native vegetation that is protected under the Threatened Species Conservation Act 1995 or the Native Vegetation Act 2003.  Native mice, native rats and snakes are not considered to be vermin and are protected under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974.
Council encourages residents to discuss the matter with the owner or manager of the subject property first, if they are known. Often people are unaware that their property maintenance is causing a problem and are usually happy to address the problem after being notified.